Thursday, June 30, 2011

Aaron + Kate Murray: Seattle, WA

I first met Kate in Seattle at the 2010 Conference of Creative Entrepreneurs where I had been invited to give the opening talk. At that time she was the co-owner, with her husband ceramic artist Aaron, to a shop called Nancy. Nancy was located on 2nd Ave next to Schmancy & Fancy. Yes, Schmancy, Fancy then Nancy all shops the size of tiny cute matchboxes and all amazing in their own rights. Although Schmancy and Fancy remain, Aaron and Kate decided to close up Nancy.

On that first trip upon stumbling into Nancy I became enamored with Aaron Murray ceramic objects and brought them back to sell at the Sky High Gallery holiday pop-up last year. Since I happened to be in Seattle this past week visiting family and signed up the Gallery to sell at the East Side Green Market this season it was perfect opportunity to pick out some new items in person. Aaron brought out boxes of work for me to sort through, his style is so unique and it's really difficult to pick which work to bring home. I think I did a good job of picking out a variety for Milwaukee a bunch of one of a kind decorative ceramic beer cans, cups, bowls and owls of all shapes and sizes. It's always such a treat to be invited into a beautiful cozy space where people live and work and Aaron and Kate's was so my kind of spot. Filled to the brim with tiny amazing objects arranged and tucked into every corner. I loved it.

If you happen to be in Milwaukee on a Saturday's from 10-2 this summer [we will be there most Saturday's but check out the Gallery site for a detailed schedule] come check out Aaron's work in person.

Studio Visit: Aaron & Kate Murray

Studio Visit: Aaron & Kate Murray

Studio Visit: Aaron & Kate Murray

Studio Visit: Aaron & Kate Murray

I loved seeing all Aaron's dishes piled in the dish-rack & cupboards. And also the integration of Kate's garland's draped beautifully around the house & Aaron's ceramic and woodcarving's leak out into their garden.

Some day I would like to have the majority of my dishes in my kitchen all be from artists I know. Starting slowly....

Studio Visit: Aaron & Kate Murray

Studio Visit: Aaron & Kate Murray

Studio Visit: Aaron & Kate Murray

Studio Visit: Aaron & Kate Murray

Studio Visit: Aaron & Kate Murray

Studio Visit: Aaron & Kate Murray

Studio Visit: Aaron & Kate Murray

Studio Visit: Aaron & Kate Murray

Studio Visit: Aaron & Kate Murray

Studio Visit: Aaron & Kate Murray

Studio Visit: Aaron & Kate Murray

Studio Visit: Aaron & Kate Murray

Studio Visit: Aaron & Kate Murray

Studio Visit: Aaron & Kate Murray

Additional photos from the visit here.

1 comment:

Jenny Louise said...

What wonderful photos! I love all your owls, especially the clay pot ones. Those papers garlands are a great idea too, the different colored papers look great together