Monday, December 20, 2010

Handmade Meaning: Madison, WI

At some point withing the last year I did some consulting for the show that opened this past Friday in Madison called Handmade Meaning: The Value of Craft in Victorian and Contemporary Culture. The show focuses on craft work all made in Wisconsin, objects made in the 1900's hung side by side with contemporary work. I wasn't expecting to be as impressed as I was, but once I saw how the show looked in the gallery I was so glad I went to see everything in person.

It was amazing to see the work all in one room- my favorite part being not being able to tell if something was old or new. I'm also really glad I made it to opening night so I could overhear comments from visitors. Those interested in craft and those who do craft can be a very critical audience, and I heard a lot of positive feedback about both new and old objects in the show.

I also want to give a shout out to three Milwaukee ladies who have work in the exhibit. Cortney Heimerl (co-author of Handmade Nation) had two embroidery pieces in the show. Kimberly Weiss who is the current temporary mural artist at my gallery. And Cassandra Smith co-editor of Fine Line magazine.

Handmade Meaning

Handmade Meaning

Cortney <span class=
Cortney Heimerl's embroidery piece focusing on animals she has killed.

Cassandra Smith: Handmade Meaning
Cassandra & her mom check out her antler installation

Cassandra Smith: Handmade Meaning

Handmade Meaning

Handmade Meaning
Charles Krafft porcelain skateboard deck

More images from opening night here.

Handmade Meaning, an exhibition investigating the connections between Victorian women's fancywork and contemporary Wisconsin craft.
December 17, 2010-February 6, 2011
James Watrous Gallery
Madison, Wisconsin

1 comment: