Tuesday, January 26, 2010

M & M

People making amazing things is what motivates me daily. Having the opportunity to curate shows is something that I have become very fond of, bringing people together to look at something someone made. It's fantastic. After closing my space Paper Boat in Milwaukee last year I've really missed having art openings so when I was approached by the ladies at Craftland Gallery to put together a show I jumped on the opportunity.

My biggest challenge as a curator is having to select out of the pool of artists I am excited about. "New Work by Margaret Oomen and Merrilee Challis" was a great decision. I had worked with Merrilee in the past, Margaret's work I had discovered somewhere in blogland. Their work fits really well with one another, and the installation looks fantastic. We scheduled it so I got to be there for the opening (I had a screening of Handmade Nation the next day). Merrilee came up from Alabama and Margie was there in spirit. Here are a few photos from the show, the full set is here.

PLEASE NOTE:
Artwork from the show is available for sale online here.
Margaret has opted to donate all her sales to help Haiti you can read about it on her blog.

Faythe & Merrilee
Faythe & Merrilee

Gallery Opening

Margaret Oomen, covered sea stones
Margaret Oomen, covered sea stones

Margaret Oomen, covered tea saucers
Margaret Oomen, covered tea saucers

Margaret Oomen, covered tea saucer (detail)
Margaret Oomen, detail of tea saucer

Merrilee Challiss, Babylon Garden
Merrilee Challiss, Babylon Garden

Merrilee Challiss, Babylon Garden (detail)
Merrilee Challiss, Babylon Garden (detail)

Merrilee Challiss, How Bees Are Made
Merrilee Challiss, How Bees Are Made

{The show runs through February 6th, in Providence, RI}

1 comment:

stephanie renee said...

That show looks beautiful, great work!